Monday, March 30, 2009

Courtney's Test Kitchen- French bread pizza

I love to cook (even though I don't always find time) so I thought I would start sharing some of my culinary messes and successes. Last night we made Spinach-Artichoke French Bread Pizza, recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray. I subscribe to her magazine, and while I don't exactly love it, I do get a fair number of ideas from there. (she was dead to me for a while after I made this atrocity when my family was visiting; but you can't win them all, so I gave her another shot.)

Anyway, back to the pizza. It turned out pretty well. I didn't take pictures, but if I had a yellow towel and the oldest spatula ever, it would have looked like this:


It was easy to make, and isn't as bad for you as you might suspect (there's less cheese than similar dip-base recipes, and no mayo). Just in case you plan to make it...here are the Official Test Kitchen Tips:
  • Decrease to half onion. I'm not a huge fan of onions in general, but even if you love them, I think you'd agree that it was overpowering the dish. (I feel like a Top Chef judge!)
  • Use one box of spinach. Same priciple. For me it was a little heavy on the veggies, light on the creamy-ness factor. I'd say up the cheese/milk, but I think reducing the onions and spinach would balance out the issue, while reducing the recipe's overall quantity- which brings us to my next point:
  • Buy a BIG baguette. The recipe says to quarter the bread, but we had a super long loaf which we cut into six pieces and each one was still piled ridiculously high with toppings.
  • Experiment with ingredients. I think this would be great with some chopped mushrooms mixed in. We also thought about adding some thin slices of grilled chicken- Yum!

1 comment :

  1. I love the spinach artichoke combo so I will have to try this sometime! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete