Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wouldn't it be nice: December

Can you believe it's already December? I sound like an old lady- where does the time go?
But really, this year flew by, just like they always do, and now it's time for my final resolution of 2011. This months goal:

Start a Tradition

When I made up this resolution a while ago, I was thinking it would be perfect for the new baby. Like most people, I have tons of childhood memories tied to the Christmas season, and
many are involve traditions that we repeated year after year. As I think about our future with Piper (and maybe, just maybe more children) I'm excited to introduce some of those traditions into our family, as well as make some new ones of our own.

But as it turns out- I'm not quite in the holiday spirit this year. (You may remember a similar attitude from the last two years) Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Christmas, but the excitement of the season has gotten a little overshadowed by the whole "new baby" vortex that is our life right now. There's a part of me that wants to do the holidays up in grand style to officially celebrate Baby's! First! Christmas! But a much (much) bigger part of me thinks: She'll never remember this year, let's plop her on Santa's lap, snap a photo and skip the rest of the work this time around. So that's pretty much what we're going to do. My goals for commemorating Piper's first Christmas are as follows:
  • Get her picture taken with Santa. I think we did this exactly one time when I was a kid- on my first Christmas. So I can't promise this will make a repeat event, but it's worth a shot.
  • Make (or more likely buy) her a stocking. I never really loved the stockings I made Dustin and I when we got married, so I'm using Piper as an excuse to right that wrong, and get a trio of new stockings for the Bowden house. I should probably get on it soon, but then again, if I wait long enough maybe they'll go on sale!
  • Visit Dustin's family. This year, we're going to make the trek to Philly to spend some time with everyone there. I'm excited to introduce Piper to the rest of her family- including her grandparents, and Great-Grandma!
annnnnnd...that might be about it. We may not doing all the traditional decorating, baking, party hosting etc. but I'm excited to spend time as a new little family.

And fear not- Even though we're not starting an official family tradition as I originally expected, that doesn't mean I'm bailing on the resolution- We're actually doing something I'm pretty excited about. Stay tuned for that update....

...ooooh the suspense!

In the meantime, I leave you with a pic of our little sugar plum. Something tells me we'll make footie pajamas a tradition around here.

2 comments :

  1. ooh the suspense indeed! Tell me! Tell me! I bet it will be a cool tradition whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As I think about our future with Piper (and maybe, just maybe more children)" - Are you pregnant?? I knew it!! :)
    Also, tell me your surprise or I won't give Piper the footie pjs I handknit for her.

    ReplyDelete