Wednesday, May 16, 2012

31 Things

After the wild success that was Photo a Day April, and then the big dreams but mediocre follow-through that is currently Photo a Day May, I've decided to ramp it up a bit. (Yes, you read that right...I'm currently failing at my commitment to take one photo a day with my "big girl camera", and subsequently have decided to make an even bigger commitment. That is just the counter-intuitive, over zealous, go big or go home, way I roll.) My new focus: a 31 day writing challenge.

I really enjoy writing, I love "memory keeping" (blogs, journals, photo albums) and I'm a sucker for a class, so when I heard about the online course 31 Things, I was sold.


photo credit: Ali Edwards

The basic idea is to respond to a different writing and photo prompt (based on a single word) each day for 31 days in a row, ultimately culminating in a month of thoughts, stories, snapshots and memories on topics that might otherwise get lost in the blurry shuffle of everyday life. I'm excited about the prospect of being forced to write more, and think differently, but I'm also a little nervous that I've bitten off more than I can chew (again!) and will end up bogged down in a mess of my own making.

But I'm going to try to stay positive. After all, the whole reason I signed up was so I could stretch a bit as a writer, but also simply because it's something I thought I would like doing. So I'm going to do my best, keep it light and strive to enjoy the process of telling my stories. One by one by thirty one.

1 comment :